Re: Ldap database slow to communicate

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 09:06:07AM +0800,
 hanafiah <hanafiah@digicert.com.my> wrote
 a message of 201 lines which said:

> I need your help. I have install 2 openldap database at 2 linux
> redhat PC. One is master, and the other one is slave. The
> replication is success, however when I try to browse from windows
> platform, I process is slow. Does anyone know why?

I do not thnk that a normal human being can find with so little
details. We do not even know the size of the LDAP
database. Suggestions:

* give actual figures, not fuzzy adjectives like "slow". How many
seconds? Try with several options (specially the scope).

* what about the RedHat boxes? Can they perform a lookup quickly? (To
have actual figures, use "time ldapsearch" or the beta version - 6.0 -
of echoping, which does LDAP, see
ftp://ftp.internatif.org/pub/unix/echoping.)

* What about other services? For instance, are you sure of the network
(you may experience a loss of packets)? What does ping say?