Re: Auto-detecting base DN?

At 10:20 AM 11/2/2004, Misty Stanley-Jones wrote:
>Several applications that I use with LDAP (Windows Address Book, PhpLDAPAdmin,  and others) claim that they can auto-detect the base DN.
>However, with  OpenLDAP they don't work, I have to put it in by hand.  Is there some setting in slapd.conf that will make this auto-detecting work?

Assuming the client is adhering to the LDAP specifications
(this assumption could be false), I would suspect that the
client is not authorized to read the values it needs to
accomplish this "auto-detect".  You might not be able to
make it "work" without changing your authorization policy,
as reflected in access and other slapd.conf(5) directives.

To determine what values the client is attempting to
access, I suggest you consult the documentation of the
LDAP client and archives of lists supports the LDAP client.

(I note that there is no standard way to auto-detect the
application-specific base DN.  While one can detect naming
contexts (via the namingContexts attribute), but that's not
the same as detecting the appropriate application-specific
base DN.)

Kurt