Re: ldapadd: update failed: - Server Migration

--On Thursday, October 28, 2004 7:57 AM -0400 Albert Whale <aewhale@ABS-CompTech.com> wrote:

Err? The documentation already tells you not to do that.  You didn't
read the documentation correctly.

Well, I did read the documentation, but I most certainly was not able to
implement the configuration into the systems for them to work properly.

Yeah, that can be a bit tricky. However, the documentation is supposed to be pretty clear on this issue. I haven't seen where it is incorrect, if you can point to where it isn't right, then people can make sure that it gets updated.

While I do have a functioning environment not, I am still not completely
certain as to the implementation.  (though I suspect better understanding
will come in time).

Thank you again for your assistance.

BTW, why can't an update via a client promote the update to a Master?
This would implement an easier (in my opinion) implementation for the
Master/Slave replication.  The only thing missing would be the reference
to the Master in the Slave's Configuration.

There was a very recent discussion about trust & referrals on the ldap list, you might find that interesting. Also, the concept of modifying a slave that then pushes that to the master goes against the basic LDAP concept that the Master is always the authoritative database.

Anyhow, please don't e-mail me off the list. ;) It is better for the traffic to go through routes that everyone can see.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer