Re: openldap very fast on one machine, slow on another

Donn Cave wrote:

On Friday, October 15, 2004, at 09:45 AM, Jason Joines wrote:

The only difference I can find between the machine is that the fast test machine is an old Dell OptiPlex Gx1p desktop with a PII 600 and 256 MB RAM and the slow production machine is a Dell PowerEdge 2550 with a PIII 1000 and 512 MB RAM.

They both have the same data in the directory, the same configuration, same software versions:

Also check syslog configuration.  You need to keep syslog local4
to have any idea what's going on, but you must either send it
to a remote host or turn of sync (prefix with -, man 5 syslog.conf)
One disk sync per ldap log event can reduce performance more than an
order of magnitude.

Donn Cave, donn@u.washington.edu

I checked to see that both machines have the same logging setup and the fast machine is being used by several clients while the slow one is only being hit by my test queries. I'll keep that in mind though.

Jason