Re: question about limits

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about limits:
>
> when I do a query like :
>
> ldapsearch -x -b"o=mail,dc=example,dc=com" -w password
> -D"userlogin=user,o=admins,dc=example,dc=com" -LLL
> "(&(mail=*@example.com)(objectClass=mailUser))"
>
> where o=mail,dc=example,dc=com (objectClass=mailUser) contains about
> 50000 entries (indexed)

What indices?

> the query takes about 35 seconds to complete.
>
> but when I do it like this:
>
> ldapsearch -x -b"o=mail,dc=example,dc=com" -w password
> -D"cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" -LLL
> "(&(mail=*@example.com)(objectClass=mailUser))"
>
> where : cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com is the root database admin the query
> takes about 0.4 seconds

ACL problem?  How many (regex) ACLs are you using?

> and  when I do this:
>
> ldapsearch -x -b"o=mail,dc=example,dc=com" -w password
> -D"userlogin=user,o=admins,dc=example,dc=com" -LLL
> "(&(mail=*@example.com*)(objectClass=mailUser))"
>
> the query takes about 0.05 seconds.

Again, what indices did you use?

> I have tried:
> - sizelimt size.unckecked=-1
> - sizelimit size.hard=-1

It is not clear what limits have to do with your problem.  If limits are
hit, either the search doesn't occur or only a fraction of the expected
results is returned.  I don't think this will solve your problem; only,
they should help in alleviating your server's load for those undesired
operations.  I note that sizelimit.unchecked=-1 is the default, so setting
it is useless unless previouly overriden by any other directive.  Also,
size.hard=-1 is only useful if you specify a sizelimit request with your
search (e.g. you use the -z flag with ldapsearch).

> but query 1 still takes about 30 seconds (with a cpu load of 99%)
>
> and query 3 is totally strange....

what do you mean with "strange"?  Is it just faster than search 1?

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it