Re: Pls help: OpenLDAP as replica of Sun Java Enterprise Directory Server

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to know if it's possible to use OpenLDAP as replica and SJS DS
> as master . I'm using SJS DS (2004Q2) and OpenLDAP 2.2.17.

In general, cross-replication is not entirely possible because replication
des not occur through a standard protocol.  Partial replication should be
possible provided both the producer and the consumer can act as such.

For instance, we used slurpd for partial replication of OpenLDAP's slapd
on Lotus Domino.

You should check whether SJS DS can act as a push producer, i.e. replicate
changes to an external DSA (much like slurpd does for slapd); then in
principle there should be means to setup slapd to act as a replica.  Or,
if SJS DS implements the syncrepl protocol, slapd can act as a syncing
consumer either in refreshOnly or in refreshAndPersist mode.

I think OpenLDAP's slapd is evolving in a direction that will allow
syncrepl to be performed even with producers that do not explicitly
support the control, provided they honor some specific operational
attributes (essentially, some form of unique identifier (entryUUID) and
some form of very precise timestamp (entryCSN)).  This is not a commitment
to implementing it in a foreseeable timeframe, but if you're starting a
new project, maybe this hint can be of help.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it