I'm have a problem w/userPasswords and binding

I used ldappasswd to change a user password, but ldapsearch will not accept
the credentials (error: ldap_bind: Invalid credentials).  I'm using the same
password, SHA encrypted, as my personal password, and yet I can bind with my
credentials but not with this other user.  The pricipal differences are that
this other user is a special user that the mail system will use to bind and
this special user has only two object classes, "top" and
"linfieldSpecialUser" which is a custom class that allows only "cn", "ou" and
"userPassword"

Is there something else I need to do to enable this special user to bind?

--
Rob Tanner
UNIX Services Manager