RE: Where does 'name' attribute type comes from?

Thanks a lot Hallvard. I did not expect a quick response :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Hallvard B Furuseth [mailto:h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 5:47 PM
To: Sadik Kumlali
Cc: OpenLDAP-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: Where does 'name' attribute type comes from?

Sadik Kumlali writes:
> I am using OpenLDAP 2.1.29-1. I could not find any active 'name'
> attribute type definition in any schema file.

The definition of 'name' is hard-coded into slapd.

Note that the 'name' attribute is normally not included in entries,
it's only used as a supertype for other attributes.  And since
it is the supertype of e.g. ou and cn, a search for "(name=foo)"
will also find entries that contain cn: foo or ou: foo.

--
Hallvard