Adding users with email address

I have the basic install of OpenLDAP and am trying to add users utilizing ldapadd and an ldif file.

In the core.schema it has a definition for a mail attribute but when I try and add the users email address I get an "Object class violation" with additional info of "attribute 'mail' not allowed".

I have searched for this item and have been unsucessful at finding or figuring out how to get this to work.

I have the core.schema loading and added cosine.schema since it also has an entry for mail, but I still get the same error.

Here is a sample entry:
dn: cn=rjohnson,dc=costuless,dc=com
cn: rjohnson
cn: Robert Johnson
objectclass: person
sn: Johnson
mail: rjohnson@costuless.com

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?
Thank you
--
Robert A. Johnson
Systems Administrator