Re: 500 entry limit

man slapd.conf:

       sizelimit size[.{soft|hard|unchecked}]=<integer> [...]
              Specify the maximum number of entries to return  from  a  search
              operation.   The default size limit is 500.  Use -1 or unlimited
              to specify no limits.  The second format  allows  a  fine  grain
              setting of the size limits.  Extra args can be added on the same
              line.  See limits for an explanation of the different flags.

I don't know off hand if there is a default limit with the tools. Their man pages dont mention one.