Re: can we have non-replication of data in distributed directory service?

The error you are getting is because you are
specifying the "ref" attribute for the objectclass
"organizationalUnit". This objectclass doesn't have
this attribute in the schema. So any ldap server with
such a schema defination will reject it.

You can try it out this way. Take out that "ref"
attribute from "dn: ou=subtree,dc=example,dc=net"
entry. And then add a referral entry below the
"dc=example,dc=net" pointing to the othercomapny.com's
ldap server like shown below:-

dn: cn=ref_to_other_comp,dc=example,dc=net
objectclass: referral
cn: ref_to_other_comp
ref:
ldap://othercompany.com/cn=Manager,ou=Research,dc=othercompany,dc=com

So, now when u fire a search against the dn
cn=ref_to_other_comp,dc=example,dc=net it will fetch
result from the referral also.

Regards
--Sunil