Re: two problems when migrating from 2.1.30 to 2.2.15

Rich Graves wrote:

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Howard Chu wrote:

2) I had string "set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE" in my DB_CONFIG file. This
was making berkeley db to remove all unused log files after next
checkpoint. With 2.2.15 this parameter in DB_CONFIG does not make any
effect, log files remain on file system. Do you know if something has
changed?

Yes, in order to fix a locking problem in back-bdb the cache code was changed to use a long-lived transaction per slapd thread to handle read-only operations. Unfortunately BDB 4.2.52 has a bug where these long-lived transactions prevent the DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE option from working. They also prevent db_archive from doing anything useful.

Indeed, I had my log partition fill up because of that.

How do I know what bdb logs are safe to remove now?

If you apply the patches I referenced, both DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE and db_archive will work correctly. Also, whenever you do a clean shutdown of slapd it does a full checkpoint, so all logs but the last can be safely removed.
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. Director, Highland Sun