Re: Newbie help

At 08:11 AM 9/4/2004, Christy Mahon wrote:
>I've followed closely tutorial instructions

which tutorial instructions?  For newbies, I suggest you
start with the Quick Start Guide, unless you are using
some 3rd party package of OpenLDAP Software.   If the
latter, I suggest you follow whatever guide the 3rd
party packager provides.

>and have started slapd.
>Now i want to add some data to my directory but I'm
>getting an error. Obviously I'm missing something not
>covered in my tutorial. Unfortunately, searching more
>widely just seems to add to the confusion because I
>just don't know enough at this stage: Here's what I'm
>getting when I try to run ldapadd:
>
>ldapserver:/# /usr/lib/openldap/slapd
>ldapserver:/# /usr/bin/ldapadd -x -D
>"cn=root,dc=office, dc=local" -W
>Enter LDAP Password: secret
>ldap_bind: Invalid credentials: (49)

This error is discussed at:
  http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=231

I suggest you examine the servers logs, or start slapd(8)
with debugging enabled (on a separate terminal).

>Not sure what the -x does but gather its something to
>do with the access levels.

No. See ldapsearch(1).

>When I drop it I get:

Unless you know what you are doing, I suggest you stick
with the suggested flags.

Kurt