Re: Greylisting and idiots

fre, 03.09.2004 kl. 16.12 skrev Danny:

Since this is not "on list" I'll keep it as short as possible.

[...]

> Main.cf and corresponding files, minus your virutal and relay stuff.
> Here is my very basic config for example:
[...]

Magnus Bakke (Backe?) on the list is the right person for this kind of
thing. Personally I read the docs, the list and test things out on test
machines, to see if they work ;)  To hell with others' configurations.
Viktor tells you what to do and what not; sometimes (mostly) he's right,
sometimes (minimally) he blows his top and just shouts. Magnus is almost
always right, but I've caught him out too.

> I want to start experimenting with RBL's and smtpd restrictions, and I
> was hoping you could share the ones you are having success with,
> specifically main.cf and any lookups.

So do it. That's what I did.

> > The most important thing for me, is that I have a grown-up notebook
> > running the same OS and software as client site, to try things out
> > first. That's the real secret ;)
>
> How do you test in on your laptop, first? Do you mean the correctness
> of the config files, or actually testing mail flow as well?

I start with the docs (this is 2.1.4, remember?) and just try things.
Keeping to the docs gives you mostly the right way to go. Make some test
account an see what happens? That's what I do.

Rule #1: Read all of the Postfix docs and understand them.
Rule #2: Always subscribe to and adhere to advice given by "notables" on
	the Postfix list;
Rule #3: Never take what any poster writes as gospel. Always try out
what the poster says for yourself. Could be crap, sometimes is. Whoever
it is  - Wietse, Viktor, Noel, Magnus, Rob, eh Padriguez@Koetter, Ralf
H.  and many more ;)

> I want to start experimenting with RBL's and smtpd restrictions, and I
> was hoping you could share the ones you are having success with,
> specifically main.cf and any lookups.

So experiment with them ;) Use all available. Pretty soon you'll find
out that some are denying you mail unjustifiably. My own rbl denials at
the moment, that I can get along with, are:

list.dsbl.org (brilliant), dnsbl.njabl.org (has its uses),
rbl.spamhaus.org, opm.blitzed.org (has its uses).

Otherwise, greylisting (gld daemon) is getting a lot of zombies and open
proxies here.

Overall: Surprising what *IDIOTS* spammers and virus merchants are.

--Tonni

--
They love us, don't they, They feed us, won't they,
Oh who will think a boy and bear

mail: tonye@billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl