TLS ssfs confusion

I expect this is an FAQ, but I've read slapd.access and I'm still unsure if I have this right.

I've been happily using ldaps:// for all my unsniffability needs, (mainly because then I know
that clients won't be able to talk anything unencrypted if I mess up the config)
but now I've found a few useful tools that have deprecated that in favour of TLS.

So I thought I'd make the switch. In slapd.conf I have

security tls=128 ssf=1 update_ssf=112 simple_bind=64

as a global setting (I'm not worried about ssf in acls yet, though that would be useful later - I'm
just after a way to say 'all operations need to be encrypted' for now).

and the manpage entry reads;

       security <factors>
             <snip>
                                                              .....    ssf=<n>
              specifies  the  overall security strength factor.  transport=<n>
              specifies  the  transport  security  strength  factor.   tls=<n>
              specifies  the TLS security strength factor...
                                          ......  update_ssf=<n> specifies the
              overall  security  strength  factor  to  require  for  directory
              updates.  update_transport=<n> specifies the transport  security
              strength    factor    to    require   for   directory   updates.
              update_tls=<n> specifies the TLS  security  strength  factor  to
              require  for  directory  updates.....
              simple_bind=<n>  specifies the security strength factor required
              for simple  username/password  authentication.....

Now my question is really , what tells the client to fire up TLS?
Should I read my 'security' line as saying :

require at least 64 points for simple-binds,
112 for updates,
and 1 for anything (anonymous searches etc)

? If so , what's the point of the tls=128 entry? Does that mean 'tls will give you 128
points, therefore it satisfies the other conditions'?

And what's the difference between 'transport security  strength  factor' for updates, and
'tls security  strength  factor' for updates'?

I realise these are probably dumb questions, but the consequences of misreading the manpage
(or googling to incorrect or outdated information) is pretty serious.

Thanks!