Re: deferring operation: awaiting write

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Tuesday, August 24, 2004 8:53 AM -0400 John Borwick <borwicjh@wfu.edu> wrote:

Hello.  Has anyone seen a syslog message like "deferring operation:
awaiting write", especially right before the server crashes?

I see this message on our *secondary*, which should send referrals to
people who try to write.  Is it reasonable to assume the only process
that could be writing is slurpd on our primary?

We're running 2.2.13 w/ bdb 4.2.52 (patches applied).  You can see our
spec files at http://www.wfu.edu/~borwicjh/spec/ .

Thanks!

I would be more interested to know what your DB_CONFIG file has in it. And your slapd.conf on the replica. :)

True. :) OK, here's the DB_CONFIG and slapd.conf. I'm pretty sure the stuff in the "include" files for slapd.conf don't affect how BDB operates.

We didn't have any problems for a few weeks. Does it sound like the culprit is BDB, threading, ... something else? Would 2.2.15 have any patches that might help?

DB_CONFIG:
set_cachesize 0 536870912 1
set_lg_regionmax 262144
set_lg_bsize 2097152

set_lk_max_locks 8192
set_lk_max_lockers 8192
set_lk_max_objects 8192

# set_flags DB_TXN_NOSYNC
__END__

slapd.conf:
include         /etc/openldap/slapd-globals.conf
replogfile     /var/backup/ldap-replog.ldif
idletimeout 3600
threads         64

# the real database
database        bdb
directory       /var/lib/ldap
suffix          "dc=wfu,dc=edu"

# only has indexes:
include         /etc/openldap/dc=wfu,dc=edu.indices
# only has access rules:
include         /etc/openldap/dc=wfu,dc=edu.access
# only has limits:
include         /etc/openldap/dc=wfu,dc=edu.limits

# let's see how 25% works:
cachesize       5000

rootdn          "cn=replica,dc=wfu,dc=edu"
updatedn        "cn=replica,dc=wfu,dc=edu"
# from slappasswd:
rootpw          YES-THERE-IS-A-PASSWORD
updateref       ldap://ldap1.wfu.edu

# o=WFU,c=US (this is an LDAP backend)
include         /etc/openldap/o=WFU,c=US.conf
__END__

Thanks!

Yours,
John