Newbie search question - Help!

I’m new to LDAP have openLDAP installed.  I started to play a little bit with searching and I believe there is something very fundamental I’m missing.  My problem is that I don’t seem to be able to search on entries based on attribute which has DN as value. For instance, using (uniqueMember=cn=role1,dc=mycompany,dc=com) or (uniqueMember=cn*) or as filters, I don’t seem to be able to match the following entry. I try escaping the ‘=’ and ‘,’ characters with ‘\’ but to no avail.

Any help is very much appreciated.

dn: cn=role1,dc=roles,dc=mycompany,dc=com
cn: role1
objectClass: groupOfUniqueNames
uniqueMember: cn=role1,dc=mycompany,dc=com
uniqueMember: cn=both,dc=mycompany,dc=com

Thanks.

--chen.