Re: slapd crashing

On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 11:06, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> lør, 14.08.2004 kl. 06.00 skrev Craig White:
>
> > I agree - I am using AS 3.0 at one client and WBEL at home - both
> > obviously on 2.0.7
> >
> > It works - I am using ldbm - can I use newer techniques, features,
more
> > sophisticated ACL's? No
> >
> > There's nothing wrong in their SSL libraries as distributed in RH AS
> > 3.0, they do work.
>
> I'm a paid-up, professional RHAS3 - and Openldap - consultant. I
design
> my own systems, make them work and get paid for it.
>
> Let me tell you that RedHat's RHEL3 and RHAS3 Openldap implementation
is
> SHIT, just as is RedHat's pam_ldap and nss_ldap. It all has to be
> chucked off and *PROPER* stuff substituted. *IT IS UTTER CRAP AND
> USELESS FOR ANY PROFESSIONAL LDAP IMPLEMENTATION*.
>
> That being said, I still swear by RedHat RHAS3 and RHEL3 as a base OS.
>
> My EURO 99,99 cent's worth.
----
no dispute here.

My issue(s) are much simpler. I have two installations - at my house (1
user) and at a specific client with approx 25 users. Version 2.0.7
works, it's clearly not state of the art LDAP but it works and it is
minimal hassle.

I can readily appreciate that larger networks can justify the extra
effort necessary to bring openldap to current but I can't justify this
to my customer, fixing something that isn't broken. That was of course
one of the selling points of RH AS 3 - you may consider it useless but
it isn't broken. The problem that RHEL customers have is when they ask
questions here on this list, the answer is obviously get current.

Craig