LDAP backend gateway

I am setting up a SAMBA authentication scheme using LDAP to authenticate
against.

The authentication info (username, password, etc) is stored in a remote
LDAP directory. This directory is not something I have ANY administrative
access to (and that is not going to change). The only way to connect to
this directory is as one of the users contained in the directory
(authenticated bind as user in directory, not admin).

Also, this directory is storing it's information in a scheme other than
sambaAccount.

So, what I need is some sort of an OpenLDAP gateway that takes requests
from the SAMBA server, uses them to bind to the remote server, and then
translates the schema back to something SAMBA can understand.

The problem is, I can't figure out how to get around the binddn and bindpw
requirements for things like the slapd-ldap and slapd-meta backends. I'm
sure it can be done as I'm not the only person using this particular LDAP
directory in this way... but I honestly don't know how to do it.

Could someone point me to some online documentation on this, or at least
point me in the right direction?

--
Sam Hart
University/Work addr. <hart@physics.arizona.edu>