Re: Solaris Shared memory setup

--On Friday, August 13, 2004 11:01 AM -0400 Scott Walker <scott.walker@magma.ca> wrote:

Thanks for the input Quanah, I'm using/testing solaris 9 on
an older 420R (2 X UltraSPARC-II 450MHz) with 2GB of ram.
I have only attached 3 clients to the server and it is getting
hit very hard.  I'm running at a load of about 1.5, 50% CPU,
and about 20 threads.

PID   USERNAME THR PRI NICE SIZE  RES  STATE  TIME   CPU    COMMAND
10597 ldap     21  24  0    1433M 274M cpu/2  945:02 54.26% slapd

I guess newer hardware would probably really help out, as my
production linux OL servers are doing quite well.  They are
dual xeon 2.4GHz machines.  Was hoping the sun box would perform
a little better...

Hi Scott,

My test systems are 4 CPU Netra 1450's (which use the same CPU as the 420R, IIRC), with 3 GB of RAM. They are quite responsive to my testing (130 queries/second when I ran stats earlier this month with 2.2.15).

Is it possible for you to try Solaris 8?

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer