Re: My database are often corrupted.

On jeu, 2004-08-12 at 10:55 +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:

> Arnault Teissier wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | i really worry about our ldap master server... The databases are
> | corrupted in average, one time a month. And never the same, is change
> | regulary. Generally, the server don't respond anymore, or sometimes, it
> | continue to run, but initiate many thread, and use 100% of CPU. I check
> | our configuration, but i think that it's ok.
> |
> | We're running 3 databases, and on one server. Today again, a db crashed.
> | So i decide to contact you, because it can't continue like that. Ldap is
> | the center of our architecture, and without it, nothing work...
> | I try to recover the database with db_recover, but nothing change...
> | It's always the same. If i launch slapd, it start, and freeze. So i need
> | to kill -9 the process. it doesn't open the 389 port.
> | I join you the result of a db_recover, and the log generated when i
> | launch slapd -d -1can be found at
> http://www.assonetworx.com/slapd.debug.log
> |
> | After many research, i wasn't able to find a solution in my problème.
> | I'm using the sid debian package of openldap.
> | slapd 2.1.30, and BDB 4.2.52.
> |
> | regards
> |
> | --- db_recover outputs ----
> |
> | root@ulysse:/var/lib/ldap/assonetworx $db_recover -v
> | db_recover: Ignoring log file: log.0000000001: unsupported log version 8
> | db_recover: log_get: unable to find checkpoint record: no checkpoint
> | set.
> | db_recover: Ignoring log file: log.0000000001: unsupported log version 8
> | db_recover: Recovery complete at Mon Dec 23 10:00:20 1935
> | db_recover: Maximum transaction id 80000000 Recovery checkpoint [0][0]
> |
> | -------
> |

> Please add a checkpoint setting to the database section of your
> slapd.conf for this bdb database.

I put my slapd.conf minus some sensible information on :
http://www.assonetworx.com/slapd.conf

(If you think i should remove some other stuff, just tell me ;) )

> (I suspect what is happening is that you are reaching 2GB of active
> transaction log files, which seems to cause problems ...).

I don't think so, because my transaction log files is smaller than that.
About 20-30 Mb.

> Also, it seems you have some transaction log files created when using an
> earlier version of Berkeley DB, you should at least run db_checkpoint
> before chanding Berkeley DB versions (which should flush the
> transactions to the database so you can remove the transaction log file).

It could be the problem, because i'm using Debian/Sid package, and maybe
the maintener didn't noticed it. I quite often upgrade my slapd, and
Bercley DB...
But i've a question, if my log file is corrupted, all my database is
corrupted? because if I remove this file, it doesn't change anything, my
corrupted database, is still dead.

Regards

--
Arnault Teissier <roswel@assonetworx.com>