Trouble with ACL

I'm following Gerald Carter's _Ldap System Administration_ and trying to learn
about ACLs.  On page 121, he includes the following sample:

access to dn=".*,dc=plainjoe,dc=org" attr=userPassword
	by self write
	by * auth

I'm getting syntax errors for that.  As best as I can tell, I have typed it in
correctly (except for changing the dc components as appropriate), but slapd
fails to start with this in the .conf file.  The error is:
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf: line 99: bad DN ".*,dc=mydomain,dc=com" in to DN
clause

I am probably missing something stupid, but I don't know what.  I do have
several DNs in my LDAP tree already and I am able to bind to the tree and
search and add entries like crazy.

Misty