SASL libldapdb and saslAuthzto

Greetings:

After a fair amount of struggling and reading, I've manged to get the libldapdb SASL auxprop plugin working, so I can offer DIGEST-MD5 password exchange services to SASL aware applications (for example: Cyrus IMAP server). I'm VERY excited!

But I've been staring at this for so long, I don't trust my judgment on a security question, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

I'm storing only regular user accounts in the LDAP server, with standard system accounts being stored in the /etc/password /etc/shadow files of my RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0 box.

When CyrusIMAP initiates an SASL query to OpenLDAP, it comes across as:
authcid="uidNumber=100+gidnumber=12,cn=peercred,cn=external,cn=auth". I've set up the sasl configuration file to use ldapi:/// with mechanism EXTERNAL. There is no user with these numbers in my directory. 100 is the cyrus user and 12 is the mail group.

Now for Cyrus to authenticate a user, it seems that it must be able to act as a proxy on behalf of someone else (such as the mail user trying to log in).

Right now, I just used a regex to map the authcid above immediately to the directory admin. That user appears to have implicit rights to authenticate as someone(anyone) else, without me needing to turn on "sasl-authz-policy to", and things work swimmingly. My question is, am I opening up a huge security hole here? Or is there a more advisable way to be doing this? I have this nagging feeling this may not be a secure way to do this.

FWIW, no one but me will have access to a shell on this machine.

Thanks in advance!
-Joe