Re: Newbie LDIF question

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 02:24, saket@cc.iitb.ac.in wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am new to openldap. I was adding the dcObject entries with:
>
> slapadd -v -l root.ldif
>
> my root.ldif lookeed like this:
>
> dn: dc=iitb,dc=ac,dc=in
> dc: iitb
> objectClass: dcObject
> objectClass: organizationalUnit
> ou: IITB dot ac dot in
>
> Do i need a seprate entry first for dc=ac ?
Yes (and no).  Not for dc=ac, but for dc=ac,dc=in (assuming your domain
name is ac.in)

> Now when I restart my slapd. I get a couple of warnings that say:
>
> /var/lib/ldap/ou.bdb is not owned by "ldap"                [WARNING]
> /var/lib/ldap/objectClass.bdb is not owned by "ldap"       [WARNING]
>
> Are they because I ran slapadd as root ? Should I change back the
> owenership of these files to user 'ldap' ?

Yes.  As a personal practice, I try to use the ldap commands instead of
the slap commands.  Both work, but by using ldap, files will be created
with correct read/write permissions and ldap commands tend to error out
on stuff that slap will push through.

> Thanks,
> Saket

HTH,