Re: BINDDN in ldap.conf

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

At 01:54 PM 7/22/2004, Craig White wrote:

On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 12:46, Artur Kokoszka wrote:

Hello list

When I  use a command:
ldapsearch -x '(objectclass=*)' -W -D "cn=admin, dc=example, dc=com"
all works good.
But when I add BINDDN into the /etc/ldap/ldap.conf file, and try to use:
ldapsearch -x '(objectclass=*)' -W
I've got an error:
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

I use debian sarge with standard ldap/slapd packege (v2.1).
My /etc/ldap/ldap.conf file contains:

BASE    dc=example,dc=com                        #works good
URI     ldap://localhost/                                   #works good
BINDDN  cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com     #does not work

Why default dn bind specified in /etc/ldap/ldap.conf does not work ?

---
before someone says that this isn't an openldap question (which it
isn't)...

I presume the poster is using OpenLDAP's ldapsearch(1).

I think that you need bindpw value in this file which is the passwd for
the binddn and thus sent by the client.

bindpw is not an OpenLDAP directive.

So why it is described in the manual of ldap.conf (even on openldap.org) ? ;)
http://www.openldap.org/software/man.cgi?query=ldap.conf&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenLDAP+2.1-Release&format=html

Craig