unable to modify after syncrepl

dear list

i have sucessfully implemented openldap server on 2
sites that partial replicating each other using
syncrepl.

the problem is i cannot modify my openldap database in
the provider after i run syncrepl.
the error message is  "shadow context; no update
referral"
FYI, i am using this ldap for samba authenticationas
well, so when i tried to add user that error message
came up. also when i try to modify my openldap through
ldap browser GUI, i can't do that, with the same
error.

If anyone could help me, it will be great.

Thank you

Logan