Re: slapd-{ldap,meta} && authentication

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

This works exactly as planed when slapd is using a 'bdb' backend, but
not 'ldap' (or 'meta' for that matter).

What am I missing? Note that I don't want _ANY_ rewriting
or anything. The 'meta' slapd should match exactly the master...

I'll be trying 'overlay' later to have the cache 'on file', but
currently that gives me errors, so I'll stick to one problem at
the time...

I've been trying to check the mail archives but that doesn't show me ANYTHING that have to do with _authentication_, only _searches_...

Exactly.  You cannot perform SASL bind with back-ldap.  You're supposed to
use simple auth.  If you use HEAD code, you can have the proxy bind with
SASL to the remote server, and eventually proxyAuthz your local identity
(see idassert-* in HEAD's slapd-ldap(5)).  Note that proxying SASL auth
might be impossible, and at least mechanism dependent (as far as I
understand of SASL).

This is not completely true. back-ldap does support sasl-regexp mapping, or it did the last time I worked with it. It will not be able to proxy any credentials, true. But for mechs like EXTERNAL and GSSAPI that is not necessary and this setup *should* work, and has worked for me in the past. If it does not now, this is a bug that should be filed in ITS.

I note the original poster is using back-meta, and I have never tested sasl-regexp with back-meta. It very well may never have worked. But certainly back-ldap did.
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. Director, Highland Sun