Re: ACL's for files and directories ?

dhull wrote:

Can OpenLDAP be used for access controal on files and directories?

OpenLDAP is only a directory provider. The question you need to ask is whether your fileserver of choice (NFS, samba, whatever) can use authorization information stored in an (any) LDAP directory. This question is not particular to OpenLDAP software and does not belong on this mailing list.

EXAMPLE #1

1. Linux clients
2. Files are on NFS server
3. Users and groups are add to OpenLDAP
4. "files" and "directories" are add to OpenLDAP
5. OpenLDAP takes car of all the file and directory permissions

EXAMPLE #2

1. Linux server with samba & OpenLDAP
2. Windows Clients
3. OpenLDAP takes care off file and directory permissions

EXAMPLE #3

1. Linux server with samba, OpenLDAP, NFS
2. OpenLDAP does file and directory permissions

I'm hoping all of this can be doen with OpenLDAP. I've never used it so I don't know.

Thanks

--
  -- Howard Chu