Re: >= (greater or equal) and <= (lower or equal) operators in

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 10:17:17AM +0200, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> Or one could design a new attribute that inherits from the old one PLUS the
> ordering match; inheritance wwould let the new attribute be a valid
> replacement
> for the old one without even hanging a line of code (except where writes
> occur,
> of course) and add the new feature (an mess everything up, of course).

Unfortunately this breaks the whole point of a standard in this case: not
having to rely on customizations. In the case of uidNumber, that's an attribute
many applications expect to find with that name, because it's a standard.
Creating a new attribute just because of an ordering rule seems overkill and would
require at least reconfiguration of the applications which expect to find
"uidNumber". That's if we are lucky and these apps have this configuration
option.