Re: >= (greater or equal) and <= (lower or equal) operators in

Greg Matthews wrote:

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 15:19, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

I think the standard is missing it on purpose, because regular usage
doesn't need anything but exact match. Note that uidNumber to uid mapping
only needs to use uidNumber as a key for exact filters. If you want to
use it for a different purpose, you should choose a different
attributeType, or design your own.

I think this is too prescriptive. How do you define regular usage?

replacement of file-based nis

I can
think of a couple of reasons why you might want to search a range of
uidnumbers. I'm sure there are other reasons for wanting to use these
inequality matches for other attributes too.

Administration, IMO, is not regular usage. I agree there might be even more
than a couple of reasons for having more matching rules; for sure, the application
that generates new uidNumbers would not benefit from having an ordering
match, because the only reliable way to have a unique incremental uidNumber
generation in a reliable manner is to store the next available uidNumber in a
"cn=Next uidNumber" entry and atomically increment and get it. Of course,
there might be other applications that could benefit from using the uidNumber;
someone (you?) wrote about having the need to determine if a uidNumber is
within a certain range of "special" uidNmbers. Well, I think this not "regular
usage" (my opinion, of course), and this type of operation can and should done
programmatically without relying on the capabilitiles of the DSA or of the
protocol.

I agree we've gone far off-topic, anyway :)

Ciao, p.