Re: >= (greater or equal) and <= (lower or equal) operators in

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 04:19:26PM +0200, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>> I think the standard is missing it on purpose, because regular usage
>> doesn't need anything but exact match.  Note that uidNumber to uid
>> mapping
>
> This is getting off-topic for the OL list, I'll stop here, I promise.
>
> Why would it hurt to add this rule do uidnumber (besides breaking the
> schema)?
> It's sort of a convention that, for example, UIDs < 500 and UIDs < 100 are
> reserved, at least in the Linux case.
> It's a number, why is it forbidden to test for <=?
>
>> only needs to use uidNumber as a key for exact filters.  If you want to
>> use it for a different purpose, you should choose a different
>> attributeType, or design your own.
>
> That's what this current schema is forcing us to do. On the other hand,
> why
> add another attribute with a number identifying an user if there is
> already
> one and I only need to test for <= and >=? It's not like I'm using
> uidnumber
> to store the social security number or something like it, far from it.
>
>> Then just design your own, or propose a draft for standard emendation,
>> but
>> don't hijack others, or you'll run into interoperability problems,
>> sooner
>> or later.
>
> A third option was to ask the author why the schema is the way it is.
> Perhaps
> there is something I'm not seeing. But so far no answer.

Asking is always alowed, I guess.  And suggestions should always be
welcome.  However, I'm not the one who wrote it, and I'm not even a user
of that schema, so I might be missing some essential detail.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it