Re: Newbie, structuring information in LDAP

On Wednesday 14 Jul 2004 19:39, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If this is not the correct place to ask this question please point me in
> the right direction.
>
> I've been reading all the LDAP material on the net I've been able to get
> my hands on. This has left me with some questions:
>
> - For the above setup, what would a good structure be? Should I create
>   a single object class which contains all the information or would it
>   be better to define a "user" class and a "administrator" class or is
>   it possible to append some administrator information to the user
>   class. What are the pros and cons of each solution?

There is already a schema for this.

> - It seems that the structure of LDAP information is pretty static. What
>   happens if I discover that I need to add a "last name" attribute to my
>   user class after implementing the solution?

And this.

> - Are there any good resources on LDAP on the net? I've been browsing
>   the OpenLDAP site, the LDAP guru site and various articles I've found
>   on google.

You MUST buy this book:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ldapsa/

Examples for eactly what you are asking and very cheap.

> If the above questions are already (partially) answered somewhere,
> please point me there. All responses will be greatly appreciated.

So basically, set up your users, sort out the acl's, sort out encryption and
tie everything together with pam_ldap and nss_ldap. They each have their own
mailings lists too.

A few online things:

http://linsec.ca/bin/view/Main/WebHome
http://www.xenos.net/library/ldapauth.html