Certificate Signature Failure

Hi,
 I am faced with a weird error,

when i try to bind to an ldap server, i get "Certificate Signature
Failure", i am not sure why this is coming up.

I am using 0.9.7b openssl and 2.1.22 openldap. the connections happen
successfully most of the time, but i *always* get this error using a 3rd
application (using the openldap libraries) and following a specific
workflow, on other workflows it works. I have the CA certificate in place
as well.

here is the trace:

TLS trace: SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server hello A

TLS certificate verification:
depth: 1, err: 0,
subject: /emailAddress=test@test.org/C=US/ST=CO/L=Denver/O=test/OU=test.org/CN=test,
issuer: /emailAddress=test@test.org/C=US/ST=CO/L=Denver/O=test/OU=test.org/CN=test

TLS certificate verification:
depth: 0, err: 7,
subject: /CN=ldapsvr.test.org,
issuer: /emailAddress=test@test.org/C=US/ST=CO/L=Denver/O=test/OU=test.org/CN=test

TLS certificate verification: Error, certificate signature failure

any help?

thanks in advance,
Siva