Re: Goofy RedHat Problem

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Andreas wrote:

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 10:41:25AM -0400, John Klein wrote:
I'm going to sound like a broken record (or some kind of fanatic) here,
but the Gentoo distribution lets you set the following flags for OpenLDAP:

Of course it does, you have to compile the thing.

If by "you have to compile the thing", you mean "you have to type emerge openldap and go have a soda", that's right. In fact, I think I mentioned that it's compiling it in the next couple of sentences.

As for what you know, a distribution that does not tell you what libraries
are used to compile your software is not a distribution that should be
used by anyone, anywhere, at any time, for any purpose.

ldd is your friend,

And it's ever so good at digging up information on staticly-linked libraries, too. Plus, it tells you exactly what produced libc and libdl in the first place. Wait...

as is rpm -qR and something equivalent for .deb.

Probably dpkg -I and dpkg -e. I don't recall saying that Redhat and Debian were such distributions (although I might, for other reasons).

that most people are simply running something like ./configure
--with-special-sauce --with-jumping-peppers --without-frumple && make &&

Actually, these options are of the utmost importance and should be carefully chosen. That's where the learning part comes from.

Hence "Knowing how to compile the software from source certainly helps, because you're familiar with the maximum capabilities as well as the ones you're actually putting in", which was the first half of the sentence you've cut off here.

--
John Klein
Database Applications Developer