Re: Goofy RedHat Problem

--On Monday, July 05, 2004 12:35 PM +0200 Buchan Milne <bgmilne@obsidian.co.za> wrote:

Then why did they get a better answer from Dieter?

See Kurt's response.

| There have been | hundreds, if not thousands of fixes, changes, enhancements, etc, to | OpenLDAP since 2.0 was released.

Sure, but does any one of those fix his problem? Most likely it doesn't.

I never said it did. I'm simply pointing out the reasons why one should look at upgrading.

And, 2.0.x does work ...

So does Microsoft Windows 3.1 and my old Apple II. So?

| I would argue, in fact, that my response was the correct and necessary
| one. Anyone using OL 2.0.x who runs into any of the various bugs that
| are present in 2.0 will be unable to get help from the developers, etc,
| because of the simple fact that 2.0 is *no longer supported*.

But, you have no way of knowing from what he posted that it *is* a 2.0.x
~~ bug.

I didn't say that what he posted was a bug. I'm simply noting that if he runs *into one* that he will get no support from the developers.

| The only
| advice they will get is *to upgrade*.

When that might take them a day or more of work, and the answer may be a
simple "chown -R ldap:ldap /var/lib/openldap-data" or similar????

See above. You're misinterpreting what I said. Also having a solution to the immediate problem in no way negates the underlying problem of using outdated software.

| It is a much better use of a
| persons time to get OL 2.1 or later (and really, it would be better to
| use 2.2, since 2.1 is in End of Life), because then they will be able to
| get the help and support they might need.

I don't know if you are in the position to judge that for everyone.

Anyone can certainly choose how they wish to spend their time. But spending it trying to get something that has known bugs, and will not have those bugs fixed, is, to me, a waste of time when there is a simple (although one that can be initially more time consuming, it also has better long term rewards) solution available.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer