Re: Goofy RedHat Problem

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

| --On Sunday, July 04, 2004 7:44 PM +0200 Andreas Schuldei
| <andreas@schuldei.org> wrote:
|
|>> You need to upgrade to a recent version of OpenLDAP.  OpenLDAP 2.0 is
|>> deprecated and no longer supported.  I suggest OpenLDAP 2.2.13 or later.
|>

|> these kind of comments are totally besides the point and not
|> helpfull. you gave me similar (non-)advice before. stop treating
|> people like small children and assume that there is a reason in
|> what they do.
|

| Andreas,
|
| These types of comments are *not* beside the point at all.  If people
| insist on using deprecated, outdated, unsupported versions of software,
| they should expect to get exactly that type of answer.

Then why did they get a better answer from Dieter?

| There have been
| hundreds, if not thousands of fixes, changes, enhancements, etc, to
| OpenLDAP since 2.0 was released.

Sure, but does any one of those fix his problem? Most likely it doesn't.

And, 2.0.x does work ...

|  It is very unfortunate that RedHat
| kept distributing that release long past the time that they should have.

Well, they don't really - but we are not here to discuss the wisdom of
running unsupported releases of RedHat either.

| I would argue, in fact, that my response was the correct and necessary
| one. Anyone using OL 2.0.x who runs into any of the various bugs that
| are present in 2.0 will be unable to get help from the developers, etc,
| because of the simple fact that 2.0 is *no longer supported*.

But, you have no way of knowing from what he posted that it *is* a 2.0.x
~~ bug.

| The only
| advice they will get is *to upgrade*.

When that might take them a day or more of work, and the answer may be a
simple "chown -R ldap:ldap /var/lib/openldap-data" or similar????

| It is a much better use of a
| persons time to get OL 2.1 or later (and really, it would be better to
| use 2.2, since 2.1 is in End of Life), because then they will be able to
| get the help and support they might need.

I don't know if you are in the position to judge that for everyone.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Buchan Milne                      Senior Support Technician
Obsidian Systems                  http://www.obsidian.co.za
B.Eng                                RHCE (803004789010797)