Re: index generation failed

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 04:08, Buchan Milne wrote:

> Kevin Williams wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | I'm doing my first LDAP install and almost completed it without a hitch!
> | Unfortunately LDAP commands fail on me every time, and I can't figure out
> | why.  For example, I want to add "Groups" (in an ldif file).  Here's the
> | file:
> |
> | dn: ou=Groups,dc=tarity,dc=com
> | ou: Groups
> | objectClass: organizationalUnit
> |
> | If I do it using slapadd it works great!  But if I do it using ldapadd, it
> | fails with the following error message:
> | "ldap_add: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)
> | additional info: index generation failed
> |
> | I get similar error messages when I try to modify or delete records as
> well
> | via ldapmodiy.
> |
> | I traced this down to an index issue (OBVIOUSLY) and removed the following
> | line from my slapd.conf file (last line in the file):
> | index	objectClass	eq
> |
> | When I commented this line out, it worked like a champ...the thing is, I
> | would like to USE indexes (I've been told their helpful after all:) )
> |
> | Does anyone know what might be happening here?  Why does the insert of the
> | object work, but the insert of the index fail?  Is there something I
> need to
> | do to configure indexes that I missed during setup?  I'm on Gentoo, using
> | openldap 2.1.26.
>
> Most likely your problem was that the user ldap was running as did not
> have permissions to write to the indexes ... always be very careful
> after using slapadd (I assume you ran as root, not the ldap user) to
> ensure that this does not happen.
>
> Regards,
> Buchan

I'm betting that was the problem!  I used slapadd (as root) for my first
entry instead of ldapadd.  The only quirk is that when I added
debugging, it appeared that the entry would add successfully, but the
index addition portion failed.  Looking at bdb's directory structure,
there is only 1 data file.  Would the permissions be set internally for
bdb, or is the index file stored as a different file?