RE: A few contradictions

I'm not an openldap expert, and I may be doing things wrong myself.  But this is what works for me:

You should start by downloading, applying patches, and then building the latest Berkeley DB.
Follow Berkeley's instructions to do this.

After you get that built, then you probably need to set a couple of environment flags to that openldap can find the Berkeley you just installed.

On my system, it looks like this:

export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib -R/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib"
export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/include"

You will need to adjust these paths so that they are accurate to where you installed Berkeley.  Also, I use bash as my shell, if you use tsh or something else, you may need to use "set env", or some other command instead of export, or something like that.  Consult a unix book on how to properly set paths on your system.

Then use the latest version of openldap, and go through the install process as documented.

Dan