Re: A few contradictions

--On Tuesday, June 22, 2004 3:39 PM +0200 Oliver Hoffmann <oliver.hoffmann@uw-service.de> wrote:

Hi list!

I just started with openldap a few days ago. After a lot of reading,
installing and testing I'm still confused. My problems are:

1. Installing
I tried debian's apt-get to get a slapd runnig. After some odd things I
decided to compile the latest version. It was impossible for me to
install it  this way. configure was complainig about the path to
BerkeleyDB. (exactly to  db.h) Nothing helped.
Next I switched to FreeBSD. I had to experience a similar problem.
configure  said:
checking for db.h... yes
checking for Berkeley DB link (default)... yes
checking for Berkeley DB thread support... no
checking Berkeley DB version for BDB backend... no
configure: error: BDB: BerkeleyDB version incompatible

I installed (via ports and tar-balls) several BerkleyDB-versions. All
without  success. I found this:
env CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/include
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib
./configure --enable-ldbm --prefix=/usr/local/openldap-2.1.22
--enable-monitor

OpenLDAP 2.1.22 was a particularly broken release. It also predates BDB 4.2.x, and likely won't understand how to use it.

If you are looking at the 2.1 series, you should use at least 2.1.30.

2. The client side
The last chance to have a running slapd was the port collection. And it
works!  But I have a 2.2.2beta now and it is probably better to have the
latest  version but...

Yes, using 2.2.2beta is a waste of time.  Get 2.2.13 or later.

I adapted the slap.conf and ldap.conf to my needs, set a password and
made my  first ldif-files. I typed in the ldapadd command and now I have
a very simple  structure.
I can see it with ldapserch or gq (a gtk ldap browser). Well, I added
things  like displayName, homePostalAddress, mail, postalcode, but I
can't search/see  them. Nor with ldapsearch neither with gq. Why? I
included all the schemas  in /schemas in my slapd.conf.
I just tried to delete all entries to (ldap)add another structure for
testing.  I did:
bash-2.05b# ldapdelete -W -h localhost -r
Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

Why is that now? How can I erase all entries and start over?

Remove all the database file from wherever you defined your database? You give no indication of what your ACL's are, either.

3. What I originally wanted Those addressbook things are not that important. I just want to understand some basics. Maybe later it is usefull to search for a telephonenumber or email address. First of all I want user authentication for samba (and ftp, webserver). I always found samba as a PDC in conjunction with ldap. Is this a must?

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer