LDAP backend crashes OpenLDAP

On AIX, with OpenLDAP 2.1.30 and the LDAP backend configured as so:

database        ldap
suffix          "o=WFU,c=US"
uri             ldap://ldap2.wfu.edu
suffixmassage   o=WFU,c=US      ou=Users,dc=wfu,dc=edu

where the current server is *not* ldap2.wfu.edu, things crash as below after one successful query. I have this feeling that the same thing happens, just very rarely, when running under Linux.

Is there another option I need to specify to ldap? Or would upgrading to 2.2 fix this problem?

Error with "slapd -d -1":

ldap_free_connection: actually freed
daemon: removing 11
conn=0 fd=11 closed
Assertion failed: conn->c_struct_state == SLAP_C_USED, file connection.c, line 1505
IOT/Abort trap (core dumped)

--
           John Borwick
       Systems Administrator