RE: caching magic (was: How to trace activity on Window platform ?)

--On Thursday, June 17, 2004 2:28 PM -0500 "Armbrust, Daniel C." <Armbrust.Daniel@mayo.edu> wrote:

 >> - what does shm_key do again?

Allocates the DB database memory to use a shared memory segment (RAM)
rather than disk-based memory environment.  It dramatically improves
data  load times among other things.

Could you give an example of how to use/set this? I looked at the Berkeley docs... And I certainly didn't realize this from their documentation. Maybe I looked at the wrong thing.

This goes in the DB_CONFIG file, I assume?  I see it requires an int -
does it really matter what I pick?  I gather from the docs that it is
just a key.

No, it goes in slapd.conf in OpenLDAP 2.2 or later. It is documented in the slapd-bdb manpage:

    shm_key <integer>
         Specify a key for a shared memory BDB  environment.  By
         default  the  BDB environment uses memory mapped files.
         If a non-zero value is specified, it will  be  used  as
         the  key  to  identify a shared memory region that will
         house the environment.

From my slapd.conf:

database bdb shm_key 5

--Quanah