Re: Ang. RE: Bdb defaults - WAS: problem importing entries.

> | The above doesn't work,
>
> It does. I tested it quite extensively. Did you try it (remember I am
> running 2.1 still in most places and haven't tested these with 2.2).

I mean: doesn't work as intended.  I suggest you try the excpetions I
proposed earlier

> | since the default for "dn" in ACL is "exact" (the
> | pros and cons of relying on defaults...);
>
> Either the documentation is wrong,or regex is the default on 2.1, at
> least according to slapd.access(5):
> "The statement dn=<pattern> selects the entries based  on  their  naming
> ~       context.   The  optional  style  qualifier  <dnstyle> can be
> regex (the
> ~       default)"

This is another business.  I strongly recommend (and the recommendation
should be even stronger for packagers) the explicit use of ".regex" since
it is now more than one year that 2.2 (correctly) defaults to exact,
otherwise an incredibly large number of sistema will cease to work as soon
as 2.1 moves to historic, which is not too far from now.

> | you had too many commas in your
> | first part of the ACL, and there's an extra '$' at the end;
>
> Well, it matches:
> Jun 15 20:44:32 comanche slapd[16375]: => access_allowed: read access to
> "uid=bgmilne,ou=People,dc=ranger,dc=dnsalias,dc=com" "userPassword"
> requested
> Jun 15 20:44:32 comanche slapd[16375]: => dnpat: [1]
> (.+,)?,ou=.+,(dc=.+,?)+$$ n
> sub: 2
> Jun 15 20:44:32 comanche slapd[16375]: => acl_get: [1] matched
> Jun 15 20:44:32 comanche slapd[16375]: => acl_get: [1] check attr
> userPassword
> Jun 15 20:44:32 comanche slapd[16375]: <= acl_get: [1] acl
> uid=bgmilne,ou=People
> ,dc=ranger,dc=dnsalias,dc=com attr: userPassword

because most of these mistakes are harmless (especially the double '$$' at
the end); however, the "(.+,)?,ou=" is not, in that it allows ANYTHING
preceding "ou=" to match, not just a comma preceded by one or more RDNs.
This is a big security hole.

> After reading some incorrect entries in Openldap docs, I trust tested
> configs over theoreitical examples (even if the tested configs could use
> some improvement).

I tested my example with slapacl, which comes with 2.2 and is exactly
intended for this.  Usually, I don't trust wrong configs even if they pass
malformed tests.

> Yes, I know this still needs a bit of work ... but it works for most
> configurations for now.

A bit of work? this means anybody who defines an attributeType ending in
"ou" can defeat your ACL!

> | access to dn.regex="^(.+,)?ou=.+,(dc=.+,?)+$"
> |
> | But google will index your message, and at some point someone will mail
> | this list asking for help because the advice [s]he googled out of the
> | internet doesn't work [any more] so an error must have slipped into the
> | code (as stuff googled out of the internet cannot be wrong, only code
> can
> | be); am I too pessimistic? It already happened.
>
> Well, they can clearly see that this is not a suggestion. I will add
> comments to read the relevant docs here too, and there is already a
> notice saying that the user *must* test them.

:)

> But, you haven't answered the issue of the global ACLs being useless on
> a replica (which basically removes any motivation to use regex-based
> ACLs and any motivation to improve the correctness of these "examples").

I must have missed that, but I recall recently answering someone that
global ACL didn't change over time, and if they did it was a mistake;
please be more precise (i.e. provide a working example, possibly against
2.2.latest, and, of course, 2.1.latest, as it is still maintained), and
file an ITS, if you really think it's something worth getting fixed.  A
comment at the end of a long mail in an even longer thread is really
likely to go unnoticed.

ciao, p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati