Ang. RE: Bdb defaults - WAS: problem importing entries.

I think Dan has very valid points here

I never understood why the openldap developers shy away from providing sensible defaults or example configurations
Sometimes that attitude can appear like a form of technical arrogance, but popular reasons quoted for their approach seem to be
- RTFM,  things are documented somewhere, you just need to read it all
- defaults would not reduce traffic on the list
- we cannot cover all te possible systems and uses of openldap anyway
- a false sense of security and accomplishment for beginners would be created that would in the long run cause more problems for everyone
- etc.etc

well as far as I am concerned reasonable defaults (and a few working examples) would NOT discurage me from reading the documentation
It would rather flatten the learning curve a bit by leading beginners to a working (example) setup faster.
Apart from beeing so incouraged to continue openldap discovery (instead of beeing turned away by common traps that many beginners seem to fall into), beginners then would also know better where to look in the documentation to continue to tune/adapt the (already working) openldap system to their needs

Mind you, for a beginner it is not only the question _how_ to tune a parameter, but often also _which_ parameter to begin with. Reasonable defaults and example configurations could act as great pointers to the documentation to continue the openldap learning process (with positive feedback instead of negative)

We should ask quanah to publish the (non-stanford) traffic figures on his excellent openldap documentation site.  These would likely strengthen my point
Am I running my system like stanford does? NO. Did quanahs documentation teach me a lot about openldap that I couldn't learn myself (in reasonable time) from the docs? YES

There _is_ a need for sensible defaults and working examples, and I only see benefits for developing and publishing these.

-frank

"Armbrust, Daniel C." <Armbrust.Daniel@mayo.edu>
Sänt av: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org

04-06-14 21.45

Till
openLDAP-software@OpenLDAP.org
Kopia
Ärende
RE: Bdb defaults - WAS: problem importing entries.

Well, the difference I would note there, is that mySQL is optional and experimental.  Bdb is suggested as the primary database backend for most users.  It seems to me that the app out of the box should be at least configured for an average use case.

And I wasn't suggesting that we move the configuration back into the slapd.conf file.  I am simply wondering why openldap doesn't pick better defaults for the case where there is no DB_CONFIG file (which is what most new people do when they don't yet understand openldap)  It sounds like openldap is falling back on the Berkeley defaults, which have been said to be inappropriate for openldap.

My other suggestion is that some example DB_CONFIG files be provided - either prominently on the website, or along with server itself.  For what most people want to do, referring them to the Berkeley documentation is very overwhelming.  We don't need to rewrite/copy all of Berkeley's information... Just provide some reasonable defaults for the most often adjusted variables.  Then people will have a clue at what documentation to look at specifically, when they want to tweak things themselves.  Currently, this is not straight forward at all, as no new users of openldap are going to understand the ramifications of the very technical documentation written on the Berkeley site.

Which leads directly to a lot of mail here... Why does it perform horribly, how do I configure this.

Dan