Re: 8 hours tests ends with inconsistent DB.

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

Shhh ... ;) This thread has been enormously interesting. It *has* exposed
at least one Openldap weakness (index corruption), *has* demonstrated the
need for correct database configuration and log file administration.It'd
also point toward the use of correct hardware for the job in hand. Let it
run its course, please?

I'm not really clear it has exposed anything. Properly configuring your database backend has always been known to be needed. Properly configuring the transactions logs is well known. Having proper hardwrae is a given. The index corruption is questionable, since it is not clear that the OS is properly configured, since it is at the OS level that the memory allocations fail.

Unknown chappie comes swanking in with all sorts of promises (yahoo, 50 Mio users, "I can do it for FLOSS, given the chance", funny use of English) and immediately falls flat on his face, whilst we know that heavy loading works for you, Buchan and no doubt many others. You and others attempt to pick him up, dust him off and start him off over again. The whole thing is worth gold,

Obviously "Properly configuring your database backend has always been known to be needed" is being learned, in this case. The dialog is fascinating.

"Having proper hardwrae is a given". Obviously not, in OP's case :->>> "The index corruption is questionable, since it is not clear that the OS is properly configured, since it is at the OS level that the memory allocations fail". Could be, but I (with my minuscule and underloaded systems) and others have had the same thing with 2.2.12.

As I said, let it run its course. I wonder what the acceptable alternative would be. Sun, Netscape, IBM? Windows AD? For me, OL 2.2.12 (2.2.13 in the works) is an unbelievably stable, relatively easily configured and versatile engine. And I'd like to see whatever assertions as to the opposite proved wrong, *as well as* a final choice of appropriate hardware, OS and configuration details.

Best,

--Tonni

--

We make out of the quarrel with others rhetoric
but out of the quarrel with ourselves, poetry.

mail: tonye@billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl