More SASL/SSL questions.

Hello,
I'm still a bit confused about SASL and SSL from a client programming
perspective (and the almost complete lack of documentation doesn't help
much).

1. Does a SASL bind produce an encrypted session for any communication
that follows the authentication or does it just encrypt the bindDN and
credentials?

2. Is there ANY documentation for ldap_sasl_bind_s() that describes its
arguments and return value?

3. Is there ANY documentation for ldap_initialize()?  Particularly I'm
wondering how to use it to create an SSL session (is it as simple as
ldap_initialize(&ld, "ldaps://myserver.com:636")).  Is there a better
way to create an SSL session?

4. If the answer to 2 and/or 3 is no can someone please explain them?

Thanks,
Ben.