Re: scaling openldap for performance

Hello there,

 So with OpenLDAP 2.2.12 and the DB patches the System
Under Test no longer crashes/seg faults with a DB that
is un-recoverable???.

 At all times through your tests you have been able to
sustain without a *single* seg fault and didn't have
to restore to DB...right????.

 Could you care to throw some light on the System
Under Test(SUT) from the hardware perspective and
workload the SUT is being subjected to.

Trevor

--- RW <openldap@tauceti.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In the case someone is still interested in  this
> discussion: I'have done
> my tests again
> now with OpenLDAP 2.2.12, BDB 4.2.52 (this time with
> the two patches
> provided
> by Sleepycat) on the same machine with the same OS.
> Now everything works
> fine.
>
> Cheers,
> Robert
>
> RW wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I think the discussion Dave mentioned was my
> question about "BDB
> > locker" and
> > deadlocks occuring from time to time. Let me make
> one thing clear: A SAN
> > (Storage Area Network) normally consists of a SAN
> controller, a SAN
> > switch
> > and a HDD array (available from different companys
> like EMC, HP,
> > Hitachi Data
> > Storage,...) "behind" the SAN switch. It's like
> having directly
> > connected a SCSI
> > HDD on a Adaptec SCSI controller. Do not confuse
> this with a NAS (Network
> > Attached Storage). We have a Compaq EVA SAN and
> beleave me this is fast
> > as hell ;-) especially the wait time's are almost
> not measurable and
> > the throughput
> > is fantastic. If it's good for some big Oracle
> databases it should be
> > good for
> > OpenLDAP ;-)
> >
> > I have done the same tests as Trevor and can
> comfirm his observations.
> > I've loaded
> > OpenLDAP 2.2.11 with BDB 4.2.52 (WITHOUT the two
> patches available from
> > Sleepycat which solves some locking issues) on a
> Fujitsu Siemens RX300 (
> > 2 x 2.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Redhat ES 3) with about 1
> mio. real entries. If
> > have
> > done some performance testing with Apache JMeter.
> I've also adjusted
> > the parameters
> > in DB_CONFIG accordingly.
> >
> > Reading is simply really fast. But if you are
> doing a lot of modify's
> > and/or add's on
> > our system if the server has really a lot to do
> I've also seen that
> > OpenLDAP
> > crashes and database files could'nt be recoverd.
> Not even with the
> > Sleepycat
> > tools. I was forced to recreate the database. This
> caused me sleepless
> > nights.
> > But we have a replica so we can switch quickly if
> this happens. As far
> > as I
> > remember the log output wasn't very helpfull. But
> I will try this on
> > monday
> > again.

> [...]

=====
|  \) /    Scaling FLOSS in the Enterprise   \ (/ |
|_|_  \        trevorwarren@yahoo.com        / _|_|