re: documentation (was: sample DB_CONFIG bdb backend docs : a must in faq-o-matic)

At 09:16 AM 6/7/2004, Mark H. Wood wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2004, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>[snip quotes]
>> The faq-o-matic is a wiki.

More correctly I should have said:
        The faq-o-matic is a wiki engine.
        The OpenLDAP FAQ is a wiki.

>It is indeed.  Right there is one of the points of confusion.  A FAQ
>usually is *not* a wiki.

FAQs which are managed via the faq-o-matic engine are usually wikis.

>Perhaps it should be renamed "OpenLDAP Wiki".

Perhaps.  But the title is intended to reflect the kind of
content which the engine holds, not the kind of engine used
to manage that content.

>Or "contribute your documentation here".

The FAQ is the place to contribute answers (and it says:
        Please feel free to add new answers!
Other kinds of documentations, such as manual pages, are not
to be contributed via the FAQ.  They are to be contributed via
the ITS.

>The frequency with which people complain about the documentation
>or act as though they don't know how to improve it suggests that
>the current setup is not working as well as it could.

I could make a few cynical remarks here....

I generally figure that those truly interested in
contributing will find a way to do so.  If it's not
obvious to them how to contribute, they will ask and
suggestions will be offered.

While we likely could improve documentation on how to
contribute, and if folks thought this was an area they
wanted to contribute in, I have no problem with that.

Personally, though, I think I'll focus my energy on
improving the software (and its documentation).

Kurt