Writing to replicas?

Is there a way to have select fields made writable on a replica? I'd like to group resources on my network so that certain services authenticate from different ldap servers (for no-single-point-of-failure security). My plan was to replicate to multiple slaves, but to have select fields (mostly *password fields) be writable on the replicas by certain users. I discovered that if updatedn doesn't have write permissions to these fields, that they don't get overwritten and the replication occurs without error, but of course the replica is then read-only to all other users.

I get the impression that syncrepl (might) allow this, but I'd prefer not to upgrade to 2.2 and also prefer the "push" model of slurpd.

Or.. there may be a better solution to my problem that I'm overlooking.

Thanks.
mburr
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm