running slapindex doesnt work

Hi.

I have openldap 2.0.23 with samba3 and qmail schemas.

I added

objectClass,uid,uidNumber,gidNumber,mailAlternateAddress,sambaSID
      eq

to slapd.conf and then  ran slapindex.

Everything seemed to be ok, until I discovered from
log:
May 20 06:25:48 server slapd[32245]: <=
equality_candidates db open failed
(mailAlternateAddress.dbb)

and same goes for sambaSID .

well problem was taht I ran slapindex as root , while
slapd runs as slapd:slapd and
those 2 files under /var/lib/ldap/ were root:root with
0700 mask.

Ok , i chowned those files so that slapd could read,
and made 'slapindex' under user slapd ( i stopped
slapd first).

But  now most ldap queryies fail. When I chown-ed
those files so that slapd could'nt read then
everything worked just fine (I mean no queries fail).

how can still make things work correctly, and so that
mailAlternateAddress and sambaSID would be indexed???

cheers,
http://www.axeltabs.com/

__
axel