Populate a new ldap tree: ldap_add: No such object

Hi all,

I am banging my head against a new LDAP slave server install that refuses to cooperate with me, and I'm hampered further by the vagueness of the error message: ldap_add: No such object

I have a slapd configured like so:

database        ldbm
suffix          "o=XXX,c=ZA"
rootdn          "cn=Directory Administrator,o=XXX,c=ZA"
directory       /var/lib/ldap/XXX

I intend to populate this clean server with the ldif file from the master LDAP server, but ldapmodify refuses to cooperate, giving the following error for the root object:

[root@samantha openldap]# ldapmodify -x -D "cn=Directory Administrator,o=XXX,c=ZA" -w yyyy
dn: o=XXX,c=ZA
changetype: add
objectClass: top
objectClass: organization
o: XXX

adding new entry "o=XXX,c=ZA"
ldap_add: No such object

ldif_record() = 32

I have checked the syslog for errors (with it configured to log absolutely everything), but it just mirrors the error message "No such object".

Can anyone explain to me what openldap is trying to tell me?

Which object is it referring to when it says "no such object?".

Regards,
Graham